Saturday, June 1, 2013

gluten-free peanut butter campfire cookies

Happy June! I've been so preoccupied with the million new things in my life that I have been seriously slacking. I know. I'm sorry. I'll try to make it up to you. Not sure how, but I'll start with this.

For my gluten-free amigos, I have something sweet for you. Unfortunately, it is not Paleo. There's peanut butter (and we all know peanuts are a legume, not a nut!). And sugar. Duh. My best baking partner-in-crime. There's something about not using sugar that is somewhat disturbing when it comes to making baked goods. I know that's not really what some of you may want to hear from me, but you're going to have to get over it for now. Baby steps, people. Baby steps. That's all I can say.

Why don't we all just revel in the fact that these pb cookies are flourless? And have chocolate. And marshmallows. The only thing missing is a kumbayah sesh by the campfire. I'll bring the cookies.


Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Campfire Cookies
Adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything
Yields about 21 cookies

INGREDIENTS
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup mini marshmallows
1/2 cup chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix together all ingredients except marshmallows and chocolate chips. When dough is well blended, fold in marshmallows and chocolate chips.
3. Form 1 1/2-inch dough balls. You can do this with your hands, but I like to use a small cookie scoop because it's easier and there's also more uniformity.
4. Place dough balls on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
5. Pat down each portion slightly with the palm of your hand.
6. Bake in your preheated oven for 4 minutes, rotate your cookie sheet, and continue baking for an additional 5 minutes or until the tops begin to brown.
7. Allow to cool almost completely on the cookie sheet. I find it is best to not rush to get them off the sheet or they will likely crumble apart. Peanut butter cookies, in general, tend to be more delicate, especially when they are flourless. As they cool, they will be more of a cookie and less of a mess.
8. Carefully transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Eat while they are still warm or store in an airtight container for later consumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment