Salads are delicious. I find they are even more enjoyable with a fun [quasi] alliteration. So, today I present to you my 7-layer spring-to-summer salad. Say that 5 times fast. Or just eat it.. that works, too.
I love cabbage, because it will stay crisp after tossed with this light lemony vinaigrette. It's fresh, perfect for the season, and just oh so good. Excuse me while I shovel this into my mouth now.
7-Layer Spring-to-Summer Salad
1/2 head of cabbage, shredded (about 8-10 cups)
3 cups shredded carrot
1 medium red onion, pickled (see recipe below)
1 Fuji apple, sliced
3 Roma tomatoes, diced
5 slices of crispy bacon, chopped
2 avocados, diced
lemon vinaigrette (see recipe below)
1. Reserve 1 avocado and 2 slices of bacon.
2. Layer all ingredients. I pretty much follow the order listed in the ingredients section.
3. Toss everything together well but gently. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
4. When read to serve, add reserved avocado and bacon on top.
Pickled Red Onion
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
*NOTE: eliminate sugar to make this completely Paleo
1. Placed thinly sliced red onion into a bowl. Cover with red wine vinegar and warm water.
2. Add sugar and salt to bowl and stir to combine well.
3. Make sure all the onion is submerged in the liquid. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for 30 minutes.
4. Drain onions. Use immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
1/2 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp whole grain Dijon mustard
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Kosher salt
1. Whisk together all ingredients.
2. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes prior to use.
3. Store in an airtight container or jar for later use if necessary.