Sunday, December 2, 2012

the paleo life

In an attempt to undo all the crap I've put into my body over the years, I started Paleo (aka the Paleolithic diet aka the caveman diet). Once I completed my first Whole 30, I was hooked. Although I haven't been as strict with my Paleo eating over the past few weeks (because everyone said I was being "no fun"), I want to get back on track. The basics of Paleo are: no grains, no legumes, no starchy white potatoes or corn, no dairy besides eggs, no refined sugar, no processed foods of any kind. Honestly, I was unsure if I could make it though the first 30 days but then I reached a point where I forgot what I was missing, because real food just tastes better.

And then Thanksgiving happened, and I was once again reminded of how freaking amazing hot, buttery, castiron parkerhouse rolls taste. Don't even get me started on the apple pie with the super flaky crust and sweet, gooey filling. I tried not to overindulge but shoot, when it hit my lips, I knew I was in trouble.


While I was eating all the bad, bad, very bad, taboo food, it felt good for all of 15 minutes. Then, I just started feeling lethargic, unmotivated, and overall useless. I literally spent hours not doing anything because my body was in shock. Everyone has their own reasons for going Paleo but mine is pretty clear-- I feel more energetic, healthy, and happy. And, me, I like to be happy.


I'm not saying I will never eat frozen yogurt or pasta or french fries again. That would be so silly and, not to mention, such a big lie. Though, my goal has always been to try to eat Paleo at least 90% of the time. I don't believe in depriving myself of everything I love, but I know that eating mindfully will always steer me in the right direction. It's really easy to do when I have time to prep, cook and come up with new food creations. But, truthfully, it's such a pain when I don't.. So I can understand how sometimes Paleo just doesn't fit into a person's lifestyle.


The meal I cannot live without is breakfast. I used to never eat breakfast, because I either slept through it or ran out the door in too much of a hurry. In order to prevent those awkward moments when someone nearby can hear my stomach growling like crazy, I push myself to wake up at least 30 minutes earlier than normal. Although I wake up hating myself for setting my alarm to go off 6 times in 5 minute intervals, I end up being so thankful for those 30 extra minutes I can eat, relax, and check my email at the beginning of the day.  




This is what I had for breakfast this morning: an omelet stuffed with sauteed red bell pepper, onion, mushroom, and broccoli.. also, free-range chicken meatballs and sliced avocado. My breakfast usually looks like this or some of variation of the same thing. Yes I'm boring and semi-predictable. The more color I can put on my plate is always better, especially when there's no cheese in my omelet and no toast on the side. My version of Paleo also includes black coffee because, well, you don't want to know me if I'm deprived of coffee.


On that note, I must gulp down another cup and finish up some work. I hate when the weekend is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment